Every year more and more men are faced with a common disease - prostatitis. Until recently, this problem was thought to occur only in the elderly, but over the past few decades the number of very young men showing signs of inflammatory lesions of the prostate has increased significantly. We will try to find out what type of disease it is, what its symptoms are, diagnostic methods and methods of effective treatment.
What is prostatitis?
Prostatitis - a disease of the prostate or prostate gland - is a very common disease of the male genitourinary system. The reasons can be contagious as well as other factors. For example, weakened immunity, hypothermia, sedentary lifestyle, irregular or excessively intense sex life, nervous overload, various infections, alcohol, spices and fatty foods.
The prostate - one of the organs of the male reproductive system - is about the size of a walnut and is located at the beginning of the urethra. Its function is to produce a secret that is responsible for the viability of the sperm.
Typically there are four types of prostatitis: acute, chronic abacterial, chronic bacterial, and asymptomatic chronic. The first type is the rarest and most severe inflammation of the prostate that occurs due to infection. Has pronounced symptoms: high fever, fever, acute pelvic pain, blood in the urine, painful ejaculation, and others. If a disease is discovered, urgent medical attention is needed, often hospitalization.
The remaining forms are chronic and have less severe symptoms, but are more common and more difficult to diagnose. Signs of chronic prostatitis are: pain in the lower abdomen and back, dysuria, sexual dysfunction, purulent or clear discharge from the urethra. With an asymptomatic course of the disease, there may be no discernible manifestations. Diagnosis is only possible based on the test results.
Prostatitis usually occurs in men after 25 years of age, and those in the "strong half" who are 30 to 35 years old are most at risk. The risk of getting sick increases with every decade. After 45 years, according to statistics, almost 50% of men are susceptible to the disease. At this age, it is therefore recommended to undergo regular examinations to detect prostatitis early.
When contacting a medical facility, the first thing to do is to undergo an examination by a urologist who can either accurately diagnose the disease or prescribe additional studies. The following diagnostic methods can accurately identify the presence of inflammation of the prostate:
- physical examination, including palpation of the gland by a doctor to determine its size and condition;
- transrectal ultrasound scan of the prostate - in other words, an ultrasound scan with a special probe through the rectum;
- Examination of prostate secretion, urethral swab for leukocytes and the presence of pathogenic bacteria in the microflora;
- ejaculate examination;
- general urinalysis - mainly for contained leukocytes, proteins and bacteria;
- cytological and bacteriological examination of the urine;
- Detection of the PSA level - a special protein produced by prostate cells;
- urodynamic examination - in difficult cases for a more precise diagnosis:
- Cystoscopy - used according to strict indications, mainly in the event of trauma and before surgery.
The need for specific diagnostic methods is determined by the doctor, and the list can be significantly reduced or vice versa. The most important thing is to accurately and timely identify the presence of the disease and determine how to cure prostatitis.
Treatment methods for prostatitis
Modern methods of treating prostatitis in men are very diverse and depend both on the degree and nature of the disease, the presence of complications, its duration, and on the characteristics of the patient's body.
The interventions are performed on an outpatient basis and in a hospital - the method depends on the specific situation and the patient's well-being. You should contact a specialized urologist, and preferably a clinic, where you can first undergo a diagnosis and pass the necessary tests. You will then be assigned a suitable course based on the results. It should be remembered that the disease can only be defeated with an integrated approach to treatment, one cannot neglect the advice of a doctor.
Medications for prostatitis include: antibiotics, nonsteroidal pain relievers, and alpha blockers. Antibiotics are mainly used to treat bacterial prostatitis. Most often, doctors prescribe drugs with active ingredients such as ciprofloxacin and penicillin. Alpha-adrenergic blockers are prescribed as an analgesic and a means of relieving prostate edema in chronic cases of the disease. Nonsteroidal drugs are used in acute forms of inflammation.
It is important to remember that medication should only be prescribed by a urologist. Self-medication and self-medication can not only not alleviate the condition, but also worsen the course of the disease.
Surgical manipulations have long been prescribed for the treatment of prostatitis, but the results are mixed, so radical methods have not been so popular recently.
Transurethral resection of the prostate (TUR)
This involves removing part or all of the prostate tissue to relieve pressure on the urethra. The result of the operation is the elimination of the symptoms of inflammation - painful sensations. It is made in the so-called "closed" way - using a special device that reduces the risk of complications.
"Open" surgery is a method of removing a gland using conventional surgical instruments. It differs in a longer rehabilitation period compared to the TUR, but in some cases it is the only possible method. Leads to complete impotence of the patient.
In recent years, minimally invasive methods of treating prostatitis have become very popular among men - as the most effective and at the same time not too painful.
- Thermal methods, the most common of which is microwave thermotherapy. The shrinking of the prostate is achieved by exposure to high temperatures.
- Ultrasoundis one of the most effective therapy methods. It consists in the action of ultrasonic waves directly on the prostate. The advantages of this technique lie not only in the positive results of the treatment, but also in the comfort and freedom from pain for the patient.
- During cryodestruction, inflamed tissue is removed with liquid nitrogen.
- Laser techniquesare indicated for the treatment of chronic prostatitis. When used, there is coagulation and evaporation of water from the tissues of the prostate. In addition, the laser exposure improves the protective functions of the body and promotes tissue renewal.
- The magnetic laser induction therapyis a complex effect of a magnet and a laser that has a positive effect on blood circulation, accelerates the healing process of damaged tissues and has an analgesic effect. In addition, this method increases the effectiveness of drugs.
- balloon dilatation of the urethra. In this method, the urethra is mechanically dilated by inserting a special catheter with a balloon at the end that is inflated.
- When stentingthe prostate urethra, the walls of the urethra are also widened, but by the introduction of a stent - a cylindrical frame made of polymer materials. Can be assigned in conjunction with the previous method.
- Massageis prescribed in conjunction with other treatments and can significantly increase their effects.
- Methods of traditional Chinese medicine, especially reflexology - the effects on biologically active parts of the patient's body with needles, heat and other physical factors. The proven effect of reflexology is to restore the balance of the endocrine system, improve the functioning of the central nervous system, normalize blood flow and metabolic processes in the body, eliminate neuralgic pain and prevent inflammatory processes. Like a massage, it can be used in combination with other methods.
As you know, men are often negligent about their health and particularly avoid going to clinics because of a problem as sensitive as urological disease. However, it is better to see a doctor and get rid of the disease early on than to deal with its consequences later.